When we facilitate the planning process for our wealthy clients, the focus is on ensuring that wealth is transferred to loved ones and charitable causes, rather than to the IRS.
We work to understand their unique needs, interests, and concerns, and develop tailored solutions to help our clients work towards their financial goals. Our focus encompasses everything you have worked so hard to get, and we will help you utilize the best strategies to meet your family’s objectives.
- Requires support in understanding the complexities created in prior planning
- Administration of assets and the family portfolio are critical
- Passionately involved in the community and philanthropic ventures
- Interested in educating future generations in the value of wealth
- Wealth may have been created by an earlier generation
The needs of business owners are very unique. We create an environment that allows you to focus solely on the growth and security of your business. Our wealth management solutions are designed to integrate both your personal and business financial needs via a customized plan to maintain the strength of your business and to work towards personal financial security.
- Very involved in day-to-day operations of the businesses
- Targeting a comprehensive succession plan for the management team and the family
- Devoted to supporting and giving back to the community
- Values creativity and innovation—in keeping with the entrepreneurial spirit
- Expects personal finances to be overseen and managed like the business asset
- Needs a risk management plan that protects what has been achieved with hard work
- Requires liquidity to provide for future tax liabilities
Many of our clients are in transition. And many of them were referred to us, by other clients, for precisely that reason. Helping individuals through the unexpected, the twists and turns of life, the events that challenge us the most – is among the most gratifying work we do at Selkirk.
Whether the transition is born out of good fortune, tragedy, or somewhere in between, it is disruptive, and change is difficult and oftentimes confusing. Anxiety and vulnerability are very common during these periods of transition and has a real impact on the quality of decisions you may need to make.
• Spouses passing – It is extremely common for one spouse to manage the household finances. In the event of an accident or illness, that re-delegation of responsibility can leave the other spouse clueless on how to proceed. If you are that person, we can help.
• Sudden wealth – whether inherited, the result of an IPO, lottery winnings, or perhaps a lawsuit settled in your favor – is, for most people, a game changer. If you’re overwhelmed or unprepared for the decisions that come with it, we can help.
• Business succession planning – evaluating how to distribute or capture the value of a family business and the most tax-efficient strategies to do so. Or, how to pass on to select children, which may not be equal – If you are that person, we can help.
• Job Changes – how long can you afford to be unemployed? If the possibility of a layoff is looming in your future, how much cash should you keep in reserve to tide you over? If you are asking yourself these questions, we can help.
• The death of a family member – it can be very difficult keeping track of everything when you’re grieving. If it’s up to you to tie up the loose ends and handle the distribution of assets, we can help.
• Divorce – may have left you with financial freedom but uncertainty over where to begin. We can help.
At times like these, you may simply need a good listener, a second set of eyes, help in understanding your financial situation, reallocating an investment portfolio, advice on end of life decisions, whether to begin taking your Social Security benefits now or to wait, a referral for a tax lawyer or just a buffer between your emotions and sound decisions.
We are client-centered. We put your interests first. We are here to provide you with the resources and empathy you need to make a challenging period in your life a lot more manageable.